More on Red and Christian Martyrs
by Lisa Traylor
Most of us think of the liturgical color red as being the color of feast days. While that is true, the reality is a bit more nuanced than that. It’s more helpful to think of it as associated with the Passion of Jesus–meaning his betrayal, crucifixion and resurrection–and the works of his power, such as his ascension and the coming of the Holy Spirit. It is because the association of red with Christ’s blood that we use red when remembering the death of Christian martyrs.
The early church considered being killed because of your faith to be a special kind of death, because you were joining with Christ in his sufferings. The phrase “the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church” came from early church father Tertullian’s Apologeticus.
Archbishop Foley Beach has requested the clergy of ACNA wear red to stand in solidarity with the Christians in Iraq and Syria who are being beaten, persecuted, tortured and killed for their faith. He also called the church to stand in prayer, contact their representatives and give financially to reach out our brothers and sisters who are suffering for their faith. Consider how you might pray, act, or give in the face of the attempted extermination of Christians in Iraq and Syria.
O God, you have made of one blood all the peoples of the earth, and sent your blessed Son to preach peace to those who are far off and to those who are near: Grant that people everywhere may seek after you and find you, especially in Syria and Iraq; bring the nations into your fold; pour out your Spirit upon all flesh; and hasten the coming of your kingdom; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Resources On the Persecution of Christians
- We must not be silent – original blogpost from Archbishop Foley Beach on the persecution of Christians in Iraq and Syria.
- A Call to Prayer for the Persecuted Church in Syria and Iraq – blogpost from Archbishop Foley Beach requesting the rememberance of persecuted Christians in Iraq & Syria this past Sunday.
- Voice of the Martyrs – Syria – view links to related articles at bottom for up-to-date information.
- Voice of the Martyrs – Iraq – view links to related articles at bottom for up-to-date information.
- ACNA Prayer Resources – Prayers you can include in your personal devotions for persecuted Christians.
- Suggested Ministries in need of support (ACNA vetted):
- Barnabas Fund -Supports minority Christians who suffer discrimination, oppression and persecution as a consequence of their faith.
- Voice of Ishmael (via Commission to Every Nation) – Ministering hope to communities in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Christ Church Jerusalem – Ministering to Refuges of the Crisis.Write “Iraqi refugees” in the memo line.
- Voice of the Martyrs “I-Am-N” campaign
May 17, 2016
March 09, 2016
March 01, 2016